Friday, August 3, 2007

SOA, I could just K.I.S.S you! - Part 6

Welcome back. If you missed the first five parts of this series, please follow the links below to start at the beginning.

Step 1 - Stake in the Ground

Step 2 - Education

Step 3 - Organizational Governance

Step 4 – Evaluate Your Infrastructure

Step 5 - Pilot Project

Step 6 - Wrap up
Wrap up.... Wrap up!! How can I just wrap it up now when there is so much left to do?

Well its simple (the theme remember). Much of what is left to do simply involves sticking to it. Learning at each step. Actually allocating some time to analyze services for compliance and reuse opportunity etc.

Now I realize that I've left out some huge pieces. Namely Business Process Modeling, Master Data Management, Service Design, Service Management, Orchestration, Security, Service Life Cycle Management, Service Versioning... I think I could go on for a while but I'll stop there.

These are all very important topics and things that you need to look at and address. The point I want to make is that you do not have to paralyze yourself by taking all of this on at one time.

I hate to say it because it feels like a give up but Rome was not built in a day, and assuming your SOA actually gets built, it will be no different.

At the very core of SOA, in my humble opinion, are very simple concepts not complicated ones, and while the solutions themselves are not always simple, keeping those simple concepts and goals in mind will help you see the solutions that are right for YOU!

No comments: